9 Ways to Add Coconut Oil Into Your Everyday Life
In my cabinet sits a food product that I use every day–coconut oil, but it isn’t just for eating. I use this wonder item for just about everything, from an addition to my recipes to an everyday beauty product.
I first discovered the possibilities of this oil when my friend popped some popcorn in coconut oil. This oil helped to transform a traditional snack into an easy to make, but incredibly delicious alternative. I decided to buy a tub and try it out for myself. I soon found myself substituting coconut oil for a variety of other products while I was in and out of the kitchen.
Among its other benefits, coconut oil has qualities of many super-foods: it is a powerful antioxidant, has antiviral and anti-fungal properties, and helps to boost the metabolism. Additionally, the special medium chain triglycerides found in coconut fats have potential to regulate weight and reduce the chances of heart disease.
Coconut oil truly is a gift from nature that can be used in countless ways.”
Here are some of my favorite ways to use this dynamic oil:
1. Coconut oil is the perfect way to add some flavor to traditional snacks. Use some melted coconut oil as a butter substitute on popcorn or to stir into your trail mix.
2. Coconut oil is stocked with Vitamin E, and is the perfect treatment for dry winter skin. I like to apply it twice a day as a light moisturizer that helps to create a protective layer to seal in moisture and doesn’t clog pores.
3. Coconut oil has a high smoke point, which makes it great for all sorts of cooking. Replace butter or other oils with coconut oil in recipes such as stir frys and baked goods, and my personal favorite: coconut oil candies!
4. For dry hair, a hot coconut oil treatment does wonders. Heat up about 1-2 tablespoons for several minutes in a pan on low, and smooth through dry hair. Let the treatment sit for up to two hours then rinse with shampoo in the shower.
5. Use coconut oil as a sweetener in hot drinks: put a spoonful in your morning cup of coffee or tea to add flavor.
6. Coconut oil can be used as a gentle eye make-up remover. I use a cotton ball to dip into the oil and wipe across eyelids, then use a warm washcloth to smooth over to remove excess oil.
7. Mix with sugar to create a body scrub for use in the shower to help exfoliate skin. Your skin will feel smoother and softer after just a few uses.
8. Coconut oil can be easily added into your morning meal. Swipe a tablespoon on a piece of toast, stir some melted oil into smoothies, or add into yogurt.
9. Take advantage of the antibacterial properties of coconut oil by creating homemade toothpaste with coconut oil, sea salt and baking soda, or add some to your toothbrush then add your toothpaste and brush as normal.
Coconut oil truly is a gift from nature that can be used in countless ways.
Whether you are curious to explore the health benefits of coconut oil or you need a new beauty product, pick up a tub at your local store to discover the wonders for yourself!
I know I will continue to find more ways to use this amazing oil.
Do you have a tip for using coconut oil?
Photo Credit: Staci Strauss
Chris Regan and Ashley Mayne produce a wide array of delicious greens for the Hudson Valley.
With his new book, Forrest Pritchard tells the stories of 18 farms from all across America.
Forrest Pritchard and Smith Meadows are prime examples of sustainable family farming.
Jonathan Waxman shares his food philosophy with Slow Films.
A group of star chefs play with fire for a good cause.